Please e-mail resume and brief cover letter to: Stuart@RosenthalRecruiting.com
Location: New York, NY
Company: Leading Global Financial Institution - Start-Up U.S. Broker-Dealer
Summary: This is the first position to be hired in the U.S., the initial focus will be on obtaining broker dealer licenses and registration, developing internal controls and compliance systems and all business ‘set up’ including intellectual property, office lease and employment contracts. The candidate will work from home until an office is established.
Reports to: The position will report to the Global Head of Legal & Compliance and the New York business head (once hired). The role is based in New York.
• Liaise and deal with local Regulatory Authorities. Ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
• Review and process registration requests and updates. Develop and implement
appropriate internal controls to monitor day-to-day compliance with all applicable
Regulations and Guidelines.
• Work with outside counsel to establish the business, obtain all necessary licenses, set up
internal compliance systems, handle all reporting to FINRA and S.E.C. and provide legal
advice with respect to our area of operations.
• Manage Registration and Continuing Education activities, including FINRA and state
securities registration and licensing, of the firm and its personnel.
• Ensure that each business line has and maintains a strong compliance control environment.
• Draft and update written supervisory procedures, Anti-Money Laundering (AML) procedures etc.
• Review and evaluate internal controls and procedures for complying with AML/KYC and OFAC regulations. Review and revise policies and procedures applicable to AML/KYC compliance and all Written Supervisory Procedures (WSPs).
• Independently manage the Company Secretarial functions, including finalization of agenda and minutes for board meetings and general meetings, finalization of Annual Report (Notice, Directors Report & Corporate Governance report), notice through postal ballot, statutory filings, maintaining statutory registers, correspondence with the shareholders and handling investor grievances.
• Enforce compliance by Company employees of the code of conduct, policies, procedures implemented by the Company.
Requirements and Qualifications
• J.D. or LLM, admitted to practice law in U.S.
• 8-15+ years of experience
• Experience as a senior legal/compliance officer of a FINRA registered broker dealer
• Strong knowledge of FINRA and relevant laws and regulations regarding broker dealers
• Excellent communication skills and ability to interact with all levels within the organization
• Team player with flexible work style
• Able to work with different cultures and to adapt to changes in a growing business